Sunday, April 16, 2006

What's a Bungalow?

It occurred to me yesterday, after a friend asked me what a bungalow was, that not everyone understood what I meant when I said our home is a bungalow. Since then, I have reworked the links to add a few links to bungalow groups on the net. I don’t pretend to be an expert on bungalows but to make a long story short, it is a housing style that became popular in America after the turn of the century. It is typically a 1-story home and characteristically has a low profile. Other characteristics include the use of handcrafted natural materials and open porches. This type of home can be found throughout the country and each region seems to have developed it’s own particular expression of the type.

The interiors of the bungalows are appealing to me because they are simple, intimate, and usually filled with nice woodworking and details. I think I have had an affinity for these homes since I was first introduced to bungalows designed by Ward Wellington Ward while I was growing up in Syracuse, N.Y.

For anyone interested in seeing some fantastic bungalows, up close and personal, this is the second year I am working with a committee of great folks in Oak Park to organize a bungalow tour called, “Beautiful Bungalows”. Come and join the tour starting at Historic Pleasant Home on October 14th. 39 days to closing and counting.

-CP

No comments: