Friday, July 21, 2006

Bringing in the Big Guns

Given the fact that very few of my local friends are willing to help in my renovation project, I have resorted to shipping in friends from other parts of the country. This weekend I was lucky to have my friend Michael in for a weekend of work… …and hot dogs.

Michael has done this sort of stuff with me before and has quickly become his family’s go to guy for any construction work. Having Michael around was like having three friends helping out. In a very short time, we were able to frame and drywall the rest of the basement. In addition to this, we stocked up on enough building supplies to get me through my next few projects, we added framing for a built-in bookshelf, and lugged a 300lb laundry sink into the backyard.

The garage had gotten pretty full over the past few weeks so we also took the time to make another trip and fill the H. O. Schulz truck with refuse. Loading it alone = 3 hrs. Loading it with Michael = <1hr. href="http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5968/2592/1600/papers%20029_sm.2.jpg">In addition to the work on the house, while Michael was here, we furthered my addiction to Johnny’s Italian Ice. It was about 100 degrees all weekend and I think we had ices every night. Unfortunately we didn’t have the plethora of hot dog choices we had when we lived in Chicago but we ate several dogs over the weekend (Michael’s weakness).

We rounded a corner on work in the basement and hopefully I'll be able to complete the finish work with little help over the next couple of weeks. I guess we’ll have to wait until the next phase of renovation for Michael to sample more hot dogs.

No comments: