The wardrobe project ended up turning out O.K. after all. If I get up enough energy, I may do one more sanding and apply a coat of glossy poly on it but for now it works just fine. Since this project, I've spent the last couple of weekends cleaning up the yard (and cleaning off the front porch after the wardrobe project). I also put up the holiday lighting.
The yard work was easy. While we were away on vacation, a landscape service accidentally came to the wrong house. Either this happened or someone hired a service for us and we'll never know. We arrived home to a yard clean of all debris - our raspberries in the back were cut back and a lot of overgrown weeds were removed near our alley. This left me with only a few small chores - Nice. This is the first time I've been able to decorate a house. I wasn't too ambitious. In the middle of installing the lights, our first major snowstorm hit. This made the street look great but it slowed the decorating down a bit. I installed part of the lighting one weekend and part of it the next. Either way, it is done and the house looks fine.I think that next year I want to plan one of those elaborate traffic-stopping dioramas on the front porch. We'll see how much time I have at that point.