Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bags - board leg assembly

I finished assembly of the cornhole boards yesterday. There are a number of different ways that people build the legs. Sometimes you can hinge them, put them on a pivot, or leave them fixed at the 12" position off the ground that they are supposed to be.I decided that I liked the sturdiness of the fixed "board" leg but I also wanted it to be removable. Again, my friend Steve suggested a "stow away" leg that could rest under the board when not in use and could be easily pulled out when needed. I designed it so that there are two cleats on each side of the board that are positioned so that they hold the leg in place both when it is in use and when it is not. Friction holds the leg in place when it is not in use. I installed a cleat along the leg to make it easier to pull out from the storage position. And installed at a location that adds a little additional support when it is in the "play" position. It works perfectly and doesn't look to bad either.I between various projects around the house and yard to ready things for winter, I'll begin sanding and painting in the next few days.

5 comments:

Josh said...

Simple and effective-- a clever solution for that project.

Anonymous said...

brilliant...I wished I had spoken to you earlier...I just made a set before you started this and used hinges.

Chris said...

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for the idea. My friend Steve, who lives in parking lots scoping this stuff out, relayed it to me. I just devised the assembly.

Unknown said...

Can you provide some specifications? How tall do is the board you made for the legs? Also it seems you used thinner plywood and a thin base, can you comment on that? Thanks!

Chris said...

Scott, I don't recall where I got the measurements but they came off one of the websites. I used 1/2" plywood for the tops and the leg. The wood for the sides are 3 1/2" wide and just over a half inch deep (1x4 nom). The total length of the leg is 11 1/2" but because it slides in, it only ends up being 8" long. Not sure if this makes sense or not. I would advise getting a drill to do the hole. I did a set with the jigsaw and threw it away because it looked like crap.