According to my blog (I had to check back because it has been so long since I did anything and I couldn't remember), I had some lighting fixed last August. This was the first step towards actually refinishing the hallways (front and bedroom) in the house. The down side of the project was that there were two gaping holes where the old sconces were.
It seems like a simple enouigh project but it took a little extra thought. The lights were in place over an old-fashioned gas junction box. It was an odd size and there wasn't an apparent way to easily "fill" it. I ended up cutting down some lath and back-screwing it to the mounting-holes for the fixture on the box. I then screwed a piece of gyp board to the lath and filled it with plaster.
I am happy with the result. I now have a nice flat wall and can begin deciding on the paint color. Actually, this is a sort of half-truth. I started hanging up paint chips back in August. They've been adorning the wall like an abstract art project since then. I think I know which one I want to use. Refinishing the woodwork is another story.