Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Taking shape

My company moved its offices last year. I lucked out in that I was able to get some salvaged beams, some VERY BIG salvaged beams, from a pergola constructed over my bosses desks (don’t ask). They have been sitting in my garage all winter and now I am able to put them up in a new configuration on my pergola.
The design is pretty simple: I am attaching everything with massive lag bolts and cut a few brackets to act as “supports” for the huge beams. Once the beams are up, I am going to add cross pieces and strips on top to complete the pergola. I also have some ideas for a couple counter-weight hanging planters.

Except for the weather, things are going smoothly so far. Once finished, I will repair the siding on the garage, add some sealant, and then re-paint the entire garage. I think it will be a dramatic improvement.

2 comments:

handy man said...

Looks great so far. I'm planning to do something like this behind my bungalow some day.

Our Little Beehive said...

This is so cool - exactly what I want to do off the side of our house!