Sunday, November 16, 2014

Dining Room Mural Progress

Now that the mural is starting to progress, the magnitude of this project is finally starting to settle in on me. I have a good chunk underway on one wall and over the past few weeks, I completed a terpintine wash on the other three walls and have started to fill in some of the major color areas. 
In order to save some time, I spent a day mixing all of the major colors in the painting: a yellow, orange, two greens, a dark brown and lighter brown, and two cooler blue and pink grays. I begin filling in the darkest areas and worked my way around the room trying not to make one part seem much more finished or different than the others. 
I am very happy with how it is coming but knowing how much more work I have to do to get to the level of finish I want, I am sure this is going to take me a long time to finish. So far, I think I have put roughly 48 hours into it. If only I had that kind of free time in large chunks.   

All in all, I am pretty happy with how it is coming along though. I've worked all of the areas with a very large brush but am happy with the drawing and the way that the colors are laying out. I will work the areas a couple more times with a finer brush in order to get to the level of detail I want. I don't want it to look hyper-real but still hope that folks can discern the depth of the landscape and comprehend that this is an "actual" scene.
Here is the best overall I can get at the moment. 





1 comment:

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

Wow. I really really really love this. I'm a theatrical scenic painter, and seriously: I love this!