Saturday, March 10, 2007

Renting the Speedheater and Looking for Stripping Advice

I have not given up my search for the perfect stripping technique. This weekend, I am renting a Speedheater. So far, I am a fan. I heated the area, it bubbled, and the paint came off with relative ease. I can see that some of my moldings will be a little tough with this method but so far so good.

The scary thing is that this is instant gratification so far - every bit of paint has come off and it looks like a brand new raw piece of wood. I have never seen this kind of results from chemical strippers. It's kind of addictive - I may end up removing every bit of paint from the entire house.

The only concern I have is that you use a very sharp scraper to scrape the paint off once it is heated. During the scraping process, I have shaved a little of the wood off. In the flat surfaces, this is hardly noticeable but I can see that I might need to do some minor sanding before I begin applying finish. Right now, I am assuming that it just takes patience and careful work to keep from screwing up the wood. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions for the scraping?

After I get a bit more done, I will post some photos.

1 comment:

Brooklyn Row House said...

I've never done a thermal paint stripping job that didn't require at least one application of chemical stripper for final cleanup, especially if there are details. My advice is to pick up some Klean Strip, a stripper sponge or two, a metal dental pick and a small scraper for the last pass. And lots of paper towels.