Thursday, April 19, 2007

Door preview

So I am all excited. I got the door back up tonight (put the final of 4 coats of tung oil on this morning). I grab the camera because I just have to share this on the blog. I snap two photos and the camera goes black... ...replace batteries. So I guess this is a preview of the completed door.I am pretty happy with the results. It was a lot of work but the hinges look good and so does the finish. I am not as happy with the stain job but figure I am still on a learning curve with that portion of the work.
We will definitely be looking into re-plating the hardware and the registers. They just look stupid up against the wood and the shiny new surface. That will add, maybe 2 more weeks to this project. I think it is working it's way into July now.

2 comments:

StuccoHouse said...

Dunno....brass with a nice patina is pretty desired.

Chris said...

I wish the hardware had a patina - I consider patina a somewhat homogeneous, aged finish. Unfortunately, what we have is peeling and worn finish or no finish at all. I am not sure what the base metal is either but it is not pretty. The hope is that any new brass would be un-laquered (like our light fixtures) so that it could age nicely. Since our woodwork is not what you would traditionally find in a bungalow (lots of moldings with curved profiles and many classical elements), the brass seems to go well. A previous owner tried to bungalow-up areas with mission details. In my mind, these seem to go with the exterior of the home but clash with the rest of the interior.