Saturday, July 07, 2007

Our garden is officially out of control

After a lot of acrobatics, I was finally able to cut out our first harvest from the garden: a "small" squash. They were supposed to be baby-sized but I guess I didn't get to it quick enough. The garden is all great - if only the small paths I made to get the veggies weren't covered with plants. I stopped trying to count the veggies on the plants, there are so many.

We are shocked. We have gardened before but things in this yard are going crazy - I am almost afraid to eat the stuff. Maybe all that landscape fabric was preserving all these great nutrients in the soil.
I don't think we have a tomato plant less than 42" tall and tying them up has become a sort of race against gravity. Oh, and the cucumbers. They continue their crusade to take over the garden. I guess I should be excited, right? Now that I know how out of control it can get, I have to plan the garden more carefully next year. We decided to try and make a dent in our mint tonight with a mint dinner. We made a chimichurri sauce (with mint and parsley) and put it over some shrimp and grilled it on a cedar plank. We topped the dinner off with some mojitos. For breakfast it is chimichurri steak and eggs with mint juleps. Needless to say, we have not put a dent in our mint plants.
Stay tuned for the next blog where I'll reveal the secret of how people from the OP get so much done on a Saturday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Love the mojitos. We've got a mint patch, too, just for mojito supplies. Unfortunately, we've had such a dry summer it's hard to keep the gardens watered to their satisfaction. Yours, on the other hand, looks great!

Anonymous said...

The garden looks fabulous, as well as the goods you made with the harvest. I found some great tomato cages this year that do in fact help in the fight of gavity. Check em out, they are so helpful...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDF8VC/002-2464172-7251256

Fargo said...

I'm having a similar experience. First full summer in the new house. First veggie garden in many years, and it has turned into a jungle. Everything is climing on everything else. It's quite a hunt to find the beans behind the tomatoes. The picture is tamer than what it is now.

http://ridge99.blogspot.com/2007/06/welcome-to-my-jungle.html

jake said...

I guess we can all agree, our veggie gardens are bursting! Ive got honeydew, watermelon, pumpkin, sunflowers, tomatoes, peppers and tons of corn all going crazy. This is also my first summer in our house and its like heaven.

I put up a video of our little garden on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8IskgiOAQI

jake said...

Wow, learn something new every day! Ive never had mint julep OR mojito before. Being from southern california, margaritas tend to be the drink. And ive got plent of spearmint running wild now too. Perfect! Thanks!