Sunday, February 24, 2008

Honing my woodworking skills

The night stand is coming out o.k. I spent the weekend assembling it and sanding it down. There is a slight mis-alignment in the legs but I am not sure I want to take it apart once more to fix it. I feel if I do this, I'll definitely screw it up so I think I might live with the 3/32" inch gap at the cross-pieces. It's annoying because when I fit it together there was no gap - this only occurred when I began screwing the pieces in place. I think that I need some better tools as I believe the "balancing act" I used to assemble didn't work so well.I have been trying to work out a nice finish too. I bought several types of stain and I tried them all out on some scrap wood. I don't like any of them so its off to the hardware store again this morning to find something I like.

The bedroom is also progressing. I stained all of the toe molding and should have it in place before lunch today. I think I am down to about 8 things on my punch list, two of which (a new rug and curtains) I am trying to pawn off on my wife.
I can't wait for the weather to get above freezing so I can begin stripping the final door in the room.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice table! That will make a great family piece to pass down over the years.

Our Little Bungalow said...

Very very nice! I'm going to have to learn some wood stripping skills from you! I have a feeling that is all I will be doing for the next 30 year of my life.
Very nice table!!!!