Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The smallest things make me happy

I must be happy. I think this is the first time I've blogged twice in one day in ages. I think I've referred to this subject before on the site but I'm not sure. Anyway, when we were moving, I was listening to Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" album (vinyl, of course). This used to be my all-purpose daily housework album, until we moved. Sometime between packing up to move and unpacking when we got here, the album vanished.

I have been searching everywhere for the past two years for the record. I have emptied and re-emptied drawers, unpacked and re-packed attic boxes, searched between books, you name it. I even started looking for a replacement at the local used record store, Val's. This has fattened my jazz record collection but done nothing to replace the Boss.


This morning, I started pulling out all of my old picture mounting items. Now follow this closely and you'll see how warped my mind is. In the process of looking for my left-over mat board, I got thinking about my college friend (and incredibly gifted photographer), Brian, who I have recently re-connected with. I recalled a cool photo that Brian took of a Roche & Dinkeloo building in Rye, NY. Wouldn't it be cool to get that back up on the wall? I soon began rifling through the many over-sized manila envelopes I have that are filled with various items from my portfolio and photos and artwork given to me by others. I spent a few minutes looking at the cool print I have from Hogarth's Rake's Progress - a real goodie, at the end of the progress, where he is in the asylum and a guy is scratching out his brains. Wouldn't it be great to frame this? Cool print but not so appropriate for the bungalow. Maybe the kitchen, when it gets re-done. Anyway, I digress.


I found Brian's photo, well protected and still in the original mount. Considering my search done, I finished glancing at the final envelopes, thinking I new what was in the last few. Instead of wasting the time and un-clasping them, I just held them up to the light to double check. In the final envelope, I couldn't see through it and felt it was a little heavy. What the hell's in here? I glanced inside and immediately knew what I had discovered: Born to Run. I must have already packed my record sleeves when I finally got around to packing the stereo and my portfolio items were all that were left in the house so I stashed the album safely there.
Well, I'm glad to have found it. Hopefully housework will now be a bit easier.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listened to the "Born to Run" album and Springsteen's greatest hits while painting the living and dining room of my new house. I didn't consider myself properly moved in until the sounds of the Boss were echoing through the house. Glad you found the album!
Katy

Anonymous said...

Fans of Bruce Springsteen are not only devoted but articulate about why they worship the Boss. The new book 'For You: Original Stories & Photographs by Bruce Springsteen's Legendary Fans' is the work of disciples from Boise to Barcelona. The mayor of Delray Beach, Fla., says it best: 'Bruce fans are a fraternity - we share something deep and special, a relationship with the artist and with each other.'

Amalie said...

My favorite, favorite, favorite. When I was about 10, I listened to Thunder Road over and over. Just sat next to the record player and kept moving the needle to the beginning.

It's my desert island track. I only need that one.

At my dad's wake, we played Rosalita about 10 times.

The Boss is best.