Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sometimes rain isn't so bad

Unlike the previous weeks, this past week has been incredible. Tonight we had a quick storm and we looked out the back window to see this.
It was pretty neat. A quick survey of the yard shows that the hollyhocks are starting to bloom and I have to say, I'm a little surprised. I expected a nice pink or yellow color in the back and instead I get this:
Black flowers? They are cool but along with the brownish purple irises, my yard is becoming a very "interesting" array of colors. This is how my family refers to anything I do that is slightly out of the ordinary. The irony is that I actually planted black tulips out front but when they came up, they were a faily light purple color. Maybe this is a bit much or maybe it will look great when they are in full bloom. I'll post more when that happens. I think the tallest one is now 7 foot high.
Out front, the colors are a bit more predictable. The delphinium is very nice and so are the small red poppies coming up all over.
I really need to get back to a "house" project. I think I've been spending too much time out doors.

1 comment:

C&C said...

Very nice! I love the black hollyhocks, they are just so different than the norm. And the red poppies - love, love, love them.