Monday, August 25, 2008

Morning Glories

I got some flack from a few readers when they saw that I was actually TRYING to grow morning glories at the tiny bungalow. I had a batch take root by our garbage cans. I think they are very attractive and atypical of the anemic weeds that I associate with the species. They have thick stems, massive leaves and the flowers are two colors - a deep purple (pretty much the color of everything in the yard is deep-something) and a pink.
This year, I sowed seed for a batch and trained them up one of the porch columns. They've really taken over and look great. Also, unlike typical climbers, they don't seem to be attaching to the house so they should come off without any damage to the stucco. I figure that anything that can cover some of the siding and whiteness of the front is a good thing. Even better if it has flowers, right? Better yet, I haven't seen them popping up "all over the yard" so, for now, they are under control.

8 comments:

We are in said...

I can't believe anyone hassled you about Morning Glories! I absolutely LOVE them. They are so pretty climbing up your porch column - charming.

And I like them because they are an annual in every region I've lived in, so they're easier to control. I don't have to worry about them getting too heavy or taking over. They get one shot - are true to their name - (Glorius!) and then safely gone.

Jennifer said...

I like morning glories, too! I've purposely grown them, also. I found they didn't move far from where they were sown as far as roots, so it was easy to contain them if necessary. I had some gorgeous RED ones, too!

Anonymous said...

I think they are beautiful! I love the color. Also, I thought it was only the wild growing white ones that were invasive. I thought the others are considered "safe."

Very, very pretty. :-)

sweetlenny said...

I too am growing then on my porch garden - I don't know why there are so many morning glory haters out there. They have been strangling my other flowers so I'm constantly untangling them, but they're lovely to look at.

Fargo said...

We have the white ones in our yard. Extremely invasive. They had over 5 years to run wild because the elderly former owners were no longer able to do yard maintenance. They are beautiful, but they try to strangle everything else. After 2 years of ripping them out over and over again, their foothold seems to be retreating a little. If I neglect weeding the back of the yard for as little as 2-3 weeks, I have to spend an hour or more just pulling morning glories.

I hope that the purple ones are less invasive for you. They are beautiful.

Chris said...

I have to admit that we had/have the "bad" white spindly morning glories as well. They are pretty much eradicated now but were all over the north fence in our yard (and grew up the hostas, and the vibernum, and the garage, and the...) when we moved in. It has taken a couple years to get rid of them. I am digging these purple ones though.

Jen said...

They are beautiful. I like them, but there are many MG haters out there.

Anonymous said...

I've just been scrolling through two pages of yard progress and everything has grown in so beautifully! It looks so nice and bushy and I like the layers of different plants. I wish I had as much of a green thumb as you guys! I feel like every time I do "yard work" it's simply battling the neighbors kudzu for about an hour before the 90F weather gets the best of me and I escape into the air conditioned house. Doesn't help to get much accomplished that would look pretty.