Sunday, March 15, 2009

Getting ready for spring

Though it seems like spring, I know that we have several more nights of frost on the way. Regardless, I decided to take some time in the yard on Sunday and to begin prepping for when I can actually do some planting.

Last fall, I took the time to save seeds from various plants around the yard: the sunflowers, cone flowers, hollyhocks, etc. I planted them in one of the trays of seeds along with some rose of sharon from my mom's house and cucumber and tomato seeds we picked up at the store. I don't know if we'll do much of a garden this year. I guess we'll have to see what kind of energy I have come May. My daughter has also been anxious to have a bird feeder outside her window. I find this curious since, though only 4 years old, she acts more like a teenager when it comes to sleep. She is impossible to get out of bed and the words "5 more minutes" are all we hear from her room most mornings. She and I got a feeder anyway and hung it outside her window. I have a feeling that once the birds discover it is there that I'll be moving it so that they no longer wake her up in the morning.

Finally, the last batch of crocuses that came up were quickly devoured by our bunnies. Oddly, we have a couple blooming right now, or at least they were yesterday. I don't hold out much hope that they will last for long.

No comments: