Thursday, May 20, 2010

Correction - Rogue Hollyhock

I have a correction to make.  The other day I mentioned a rogue squash plant in one of my posts.  Well, I was out in the yard yesterday and was looking at the garden trying to figure out what to do with things.  The rogue plant is in the middle of my planting area.  I really should dig it up rather than work around it.  I started inspecting the plant a bit and now that I look more closely, this isn't a quash plant at all.  It is a hollyhock.  A HUGE hollyhock.  It is hard to tell from the photo but the thing is just a baby and it is already three feet across and three feet tall.  The stalk is already close to 1" in diameter as well.  All of my old hollyhocks are gone; victims of my bunnies (who have been absent this year, knock on wood).  I have a couple strays popping up here and there but none of my old ones and none of the new ones have been as big as this beauty.  Just a reminder, my old black ones grew to a whopping 7 feet tall.  I just don't know what the hell to do with with this plant.  I highly doubt it will survive transplanting - certainly not at this size, at least.  I am also deep into my seasonal "plant moving phase" so I really don't have a place to put the sucker.  Maybe I can plant around it or maybe I do take my chances and find a new location for it.  I'll have to think about this one.
I also checked out the raspberry bushes.  I think this is going to be our biggest year for berries.  There are millions of flowers and the bees are extremely busy these days.  Can't wait until July.

1 comment:

handy man said...

I love all the gardening you've done around your home. We've only begun to start the gardening around our bungalow that we purchased a year ago.