Sunday, May 30, 2010

Patio and Pergola

I have let the back yard go this year.  I haven't done much planting, weeding or cleaning because I knew I'd be taking on a project this weekend.  I am moving the patio.  There are a couple reasons for this.  First, the existing patio is jammed in the corner of the yard, against the house and it always "feels" crowded.  It is also only 9'-0" by 14'-0".  The corner it is in is also occupied by our AC unit and is adjacent to the neighbor's dog's "toilet".  It is loud and doesn't smell so great in the summer.  Finally, I always thought it would be great to dress up the garage with a pergola and eventually connect the garage top the patio with a large barn door, making it more amenable to entertaining.


One part of the job was to remove all of the existing patio pavers so that a new landscape and lawn area could be created.  The next part was to stake out the new patio location (making a larger 12'-0" x 12'-0" area next to the garage, and digging holes for the main pergola columns.




The columns are huge and sunk into the ground pretty deep.  I was able to bribe my friend Mark to help me on the first day so we got a lot done.   



I hope to have the patio and new grass and landscaping done by the end of the day on Memorial Day and then tackle the remaining components of the pergola next week.  I am still not sure what I am going to do with my large concrete sink that I typically plant with flowers.  Also, my clematis are absolutely huge this year.  I would love to eventually get wisteria growing over the pergola but maybe I just train these to do so.  I haven't made a decision on that one yet.  I am sure I'll be posting more tomorrow.  I also need to give an update on the "Hollyhock That Ate My Garden" - I swear that sucker is pre-historic.   

No comments: