The minute I took the fan down, I knew something was wrong and quickly thanked God that we were not awoken at night by by the fan falling on us. The wood shims used to square the fan should have been a clue but I didn't realize until I removed it that the fan was being held in place by and escutcheon plate attached to a mounting device with three screws put into the lath above. There is no way this was installed per the fan's instructions.
After making some structural arrangements and adding a new mounting bar, I hung the fan. But not after assembling it and disassembling it several times. Rod, ball, pin, washer, cover plate... ...oops, I forgot a screw. Rod, ball, pin, screw cover plate--- ---oops I forgot the washer. Too many pieces. What a mess. By the time I finally got to hanging the blades (which, if you didn't know, is supposed to be done when the fan is up), I was laughing hysterically as one by one, I dropped just about every screw that I tried to put in. When all was said and done, I spent 4 hours on the fan installation. Needless to say, this is about 3 hours more than I thought it would take. The fan looks nice -much nicer than I thought it would. We got the Craftmade fan off of fanshack.com. We added the standard Craftmade "mica" fixture. It was considerably cheaper than the "real thing" you would get from the mica fan dealer. It arrived only a couple weeks after ordering and was fairly easy to assemble. I'll get some better overall shots and some "before and afters" once we finish painting - likely Christmas weekend. Since it is the holidays, and I am in the "lighting" spirit, I capped off the weekend's activities by dressing up the entry way light. I go the idea from Martha but I am not sure she would have been as tacky as I, copying a page out of Dr. Seuss for her lights.