Monday, March 28, 2011

Figure Drawing at OPAL

Yesterday, I finally got to do something that I've been meaning to do for a long time.  I dusted off my art supplies, purchased some new paper and went to the weekly figure drawing session at the Oak Park Art League.
The Oak Park Art League or OPAL is located in an old carriage house designed by local architect E. E. Roberts.  It is a neat little unassuming building just up the street from Frank Lloyd Wright's Home and Studio.  Oak Park has many artistic outlets like this gem of a place and it is unfortunate that I don't seem to have the time to get out enjoy them.

OPAL runs these sessions weekly on Sundays from 1 to 4.  The session starts with many quick two-minute poses and slows to a final hour-long pose.  For those of you that have taken figure drawing as a class, you'll recognize that it is a pretty standard format.   I don't believe that I have been to a figure drawing session in over twenty years and my skills are pretty rusty.  I still had a lot of fun and hope to make this a regular thing.  I could use a little additional creativity in my life and the ability to see and draw is always useful.

No comments: