Tuesday, June 07, 2011

[insert cliche garden photo here]

I do this about four or five times a year.  I can't help it, I love my flowers.  At the very least, this becomes a good almanac, chronicling when the flowers bloomed each year at the Tiny Bungalow.  Last year, the blooms came about a week or two earlier.  Things look good so far.  
Sweet William, or dianthus barbatus, really is an under-rated flower.  It is very showy, it smells great and any moron can grow it.  I have tons of it that came from a wildflower seed blend I cast in the yard years ago.  I am starting to spread it around with the seeds from last year's flowers.  I have about eight different colors of these so far and there seem to be new colors popping up throughout the season.
The penstemon digitalis is another beauty this time of year.  I was lucky enough for the goldfinches to spread around a little seed and I now have new ones popping up around the yard.
My foxgloves, the digitalis purpurea pink, is looking good this time of year as well.  It started flowering today.  These too are now being spread around the yard and if all goes well, I should have about 8 or nine decent clumps of these next year.  They really have the coolest flower.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous blooms! I love Sweet William; it looks like nothing else. And I'm glad to see you're growing your own heart medication too.

BlackDog's Photographer said...

That's one of the things I like about this time of year. Seeing what blooms we'll have. It's rewarding.